Monday, March 15, 2021

Zoom Trickery

It was almost the end of the school day and I was going from breakout room to breakout room to meet with readers, individually and in small groups.  I opened the tab to move into breakout room 6 and was confused when I saw Charlie’s name indicating that he was a zoom host:  “Charlie (host)”  That’s strange I thought. I wondered if I had confused something when I was recently in the depths of zoom settings to set up a guest teacher with access to my zoom controls.  'Does Charlie have the same zoom superpowers that I have,' I wondered.  I made a note to look into it after school, but didn’t.

The next morning when students were entering my screen Charlie’s name was the same:  Charlie (host).


“Charlie,” I said, “I’m not sure why your name has ‘host’ next to it.  I think I should check some settings. Maybe you have zoom superpowers like I do!?”


Charlie looked at me and smiled.  He unmuted.  


“I was tricking you Mrs Parks!” he beamed.  “I renamed myself with ‘host’!”


What a funny trick!  I explained to the class what had happened and how I was genuinely tricked and genuinely surprised that a student would know to make this trick!  We giggled at Charlie's trickery and how I believed him. Once the kids heard this joke, I suddenly had twenty-some ‘hosts’ in the class ready to help me lead zoom! :)


5 comments:

  1. I love how you captured the joy of this both in the moment and in this slice! I'm smiling too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reaction to Charlie's trick! So funny! It's amazing how kids have figured this whole thing out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren’t they just the smartest?! Wonderful small moment to capture, especially as you write it with such warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you capture some of the fun moments of zoom and that students find it funny to, it must make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete