Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Listening to the Youngest

 I handed my son his bowl of Annie’s macaroni and cheese.  It wasn’t a fancy lunch but a favorite of his.  I was proud that I had tried out a new way to mix the cheese powder into the noodles so that there weren’t clumps of powdered cheese.  I let him know how smart I was and noted how yummy the bowl looked.  


“Well, how did you do it?” he asked.  I explained my method and again noted how lovely it turned out.  


“Um, I’m pretty sure that method is what the box directions say to do,” he replied.  


“Hmmmm,” I thought.


“I tried it a couple of times,” he continued, “but no one really let me do it that way because no one reads the box directions and they tell me I’m doing it wrong.”  


He followed up by getting the box and reading the step by step directions to me.  Sure enough he was right.  My genius strategy was actually just a regular strategy published right there on the box.  I'm sure the directions haven't changed in all the years that boxed macaroni and cheese has been around.  And to think that I’ve been making clumpy boxed macaroni and cheese all this time.


No one listens to Henry, the youngest of four, but sometimes we should.


5 comments:

  1. Henry sounds like he know what he's doing! I'm sure it's hard, as the youngest of four, to be heard, but it sounds like you're doing a great job of giving him the recognition he needs to keep going, keep trying, and to keep learning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very perceptive of him! You still do deserve a pat on the back for finding a new way to make the cheese clump free! However, I can sense your bubble being burst by your son showing you the directions on the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this small moment slice!!! Thank you for making me smile. I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fun, Henry sounds so serious and exactly right about what he says and then you find he is...! Just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet moment. Sometimes we learn more from them than they learn from us.

    ReplyDelete