Tuesday, March 2, 2021

High Fives and Laughter




 “Ok... I wrote my blog entry and posted it.  I’ll link it to the comments as soon as I get the email, maybe that’s tomorrow morning….sound good?”  I asked my teenage daughter.  

“Yes, great,” she dutifully replied.  

“Right...?” I said and she nodded, very slowly...


We locked eyes mid-nod and burst out laughing.  It was late at night and I really don’t know what I’m doing.  My daughters are supporting and helping me as much as they can.  Both of them have social media knowledge that far exceeds mine and perhaps more importantly, they are comfortable with it.  As they are trying to encourage and help me, we can’t help but find the humor in my ignorance.  A blog has thrown a whole new level of excitement, and also laughter, into the situation.


Although I’ve had a Facebook account for years and years, I’ve shied away from posting about myself and my family and have instead used social media as a spectator sport.  But as social media has grown and become part of my professional life, I’ve felt a little left out.  So, for the second year in a row, I made a resolution to find my way in and give it a try.  And my girls have been there to support and teach me.  Every time I get ready to share something they both gather around and encourage me to hit ‘post’.  Then we giggle as we check back in to see if anyone has read it or ‘liked’ it.  And they give me high fives and "good job mom" as needed.


I’m hoping my comfort level will increase this month...writing daily is a welcome challenge.   Learning to participate in the online and social media world is a welcome challenge too, but is a much bigger learning curve and test of confidence. High fives and laughter help.


3 comments:

  1. Your first paragraph is so well written, I was locking eyes, hesitating, then bursting out in laughter along with you all!
    Like you, I am a spectator on FB. But I think you’ll like this community of writers! So glad you’re pushing through the learning curve and uncertainty... and succeeding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good it is to have daughters who are media savvy and don't mind helping out as it's a bit of a laugh for them! What an encouragement! It is true how much we need to be able to use social media for all the right reasons. A fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to have your children as teachers. It is tricky getting comfortable putting things out in public but as time goes on there are great friendships to be found. I hope you enjoy the month of writing.

    ReplyDelete