Thursday, March 18, 2021

Saved by Zoom

 I wasn’t as early to open up zoom class as usual, so my waiting room was full when I logged on.  I let them all in and my screen filled up with all shades of green and lots of chatter about leprechaun visits.  

“Oh!”  I thought “it’s St Patrick’s Day!” I have fond memories of St Patrick’s Day when I was a recent college graduate living in Chicago.  What fun we had celebrating the festive nature of the holiday.  But as I’ve gotten older, it doesn’t stand out in the line-up of holiday celebrations at our house (yes, I do have some parent guilt over that).  The holiday usually sneaks up on me, as it did today.


In my zoom, I listened to leprechaun stories of green milk, messes left around the house, leprechaun prints in the bathroom and even signs of green pee in the toilet!  And then of course my students called me out:  


“Where is your green Mrs Parks!?”  they asked. 


“Oh!”  I said, “Just a minute!”


I ran to my closet, scanned the options - only one sighting of green!  I slipped on my green striped sweater and ran back to the screen. I got smiles and thumbs up and the leprechaun chatter continued.  Another teacher moment saved by a perk of zoom school - my closet just steps away!


9 comments:

  1. Cute post. I too celebrated St. Patrick's Day the most right after college. Thanks for bringing the excitement of the day into my life with your students. Also, kudos for highlighting a positive about Zoom learning. These are so needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few, you did it. Zoom, green and teaching. Teachers are always so good at the multitasking.Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An ADVANTAGE to Zoom life! I was thinking as I read this that ZOOM life would also help out when you forgot school spirit or pajama days! I have forgotten BOTH more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok that is not something I would have thought about but ok great for zoom. I would have been like you with no green on and a run to the closet. I did have green and blue socks on yesterday which saved me. Cute story for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, I had to change my sweater to green that morning, too! I like this small moment and I do think we need to write with humor and appreciation, as you do, about some advantages we find with virtual teaching.
    Your writing flows so well- describing the signs kids tell of leprechauns of course leads to them “calling you out.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, I had to change my sweater to green that morning, too! I like this small moment and I do think we need to write with humor and appreciation, as you do, about some advantages we find with virtual teaching.
    Your writing flows so well- describing the signs kids tell of leprechauns of course leads to them “calling you out.”

    ReplyDelete