Wednesday, March 10, 2021

An Afternoon Walk




I walked in the afternoon today, instead of the evening.  I tried to take a route that would put me in nature more than houses, in quiet rather than amongst traffic.  The option that is closest to my house isn’t perfect, sometimes the afternoon pedestrian traffic is as congested as the cars, but I set out nonetheless.  The route was pleasant.  Roads were easy to cross and the other walkers were few and far between today.  My choice to wear a hat was a good one - it was chillier outside than I thought.  


Along the way I noticed: 


various pine cones growing down, and up, on trees, some were crushed on the sidewalk 

so many daffodil varieties:  bright yellows to some so light they are almost white 

playful bird songs all around

brightly painted rocks with a cardboard sign:  

“Enjoy or add to the rocks, but please leave them.  Returns welcome.  Many thanks.”

sleeping mallards, their bills tucked into their wings

a hawk perched on a telephone pole, flying off everytime I get close

three young boys walking and talking happily

a patch of snow that I can’t believe is left from Valentine’s Day

a new stretch of trail, smooth and dark

a sign that told me I was entering a farming area and there might be dust

three young boys walking and talking happily on their return route


When I came to the end of the path, my mind was clear. A lot of time and distance had passed.  I turned around to head home.  I looked at the route that I came on, it looked long.  I looked at my watch, thought about dinner and called my daughter to come pick me up.





3 comments:

  1. Bitsy! You're slicing!! So fun to find you here. I loved this post. Your lines move fluidly between longer and more staccato. Your observations are keen. I felt relaxed by the end, too! A long walk is always a good idea. Big hugs, Nawal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawal!! I've wanted to do the slicing challenge for years, but never have. At the last minute (literally Feb 28), I got set up and am giving it a try. It's been fun! I'm glad you found me here, thank you ❤️

      Delete
  2. Nice to take a walk during the day! Sound like a wonderful place to reflect and let go of the day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete