Monday, March 15, 2021

Aunt Judy

My phone ding-ed during the morning meeting.  I glanced down and saw a message from my mom.  Her oldest sister passed away.  Aunt Judy was not my closest aunt and technically was a step-aunt, my step-mom’s sister.  It wasn't that long ago that I saw her at my dad's service. Pushing her walker and cheerfully greeting us, sharing how much she loved my dad. When my dad died, the cards and calls I found most comforting were the ones that contained memories.

I remember when I was young, maybe 10, I was visiting family in Pocatello.  My step-sister and I were at Nana’s with cousins.  It was a hot day and we went out to the front yard for a water fight.  We didn’t have many water tools, so cups were our main method of getting each other wet.  My step-sister and I were on opposing teams (or maybe we were all opposing each other?) when she came to dump a cup of water over the top of my head.  I looked up to see what was coming and hopefully move out of the way.  My timing was off and I think my sister’s aim was off - the cup came crashing down into my eyebrow.  It hurt!  I grabbed my eyebrow and bent over.  Everyone gathered around and let me know I was bleeding.  Yes, my hand was covered in blood.  Enter Aunt Judy.  She showed up from the house, did I even realize she was there?  Her nurse's eyes looked at me and confirmed that I needed to go to the hospital and get stitches (no urgent care back in those days).  Going into the exam room felt very dramatic to my young mind, I remember it as an operating room but more likely it was just an exam room.  And who was by my side...Aunt Judy.  She held my hand, offered words of encouragement and comfort.  I felt cared for and less scared knowing that she was there with me.  Although I was in a strange town, in a strange place, with relatives I didn't know that well, I knew that I wasn’t alone.  Her words and her touch are what I remember most of Aunt Judy. She was kindness & comfort.


2 comments:

  1. Such a richly detailed snapshot of your aunt!! I hope you will send this snapshot of her caring for you to your mom and other family members. I agree with you, that those memories are so precious after the person is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the cards with specific memories mean the most. The power of a true moment! So I hope you will share this sweet story with anyone who knew and loved your Aunt. Condolences.

    ReplyDelete