Thursday, March 11, 2021

Whispers

I’ve learned in zoom school that if the independent work task is something students need to record on Seesaw, then I need to be quiet.  Students have shared that they record my voice, not theirs.  We’ve gotten a laugh at my expense about talking too much and so I've worked on giving them quiet minutes when needed.   That said, I also want to be able to answer questions and help students during this independent work time.  We of course use breakout rooms but sometimes I feel that I need to stay with the whole class, so on occasion, I’ve taken to whispering.  Through zoom.


“Mrs Parks,” Peter whispered through the screen.

“Yes,” I answered in a whisper.

“Should I take a picture of my lesson?” 

“Yes,” I answered, both of us still whispering, “add a page at the end for the picture.”

“Ok, I’ll do that,” he whispered back, clearly enjoying having a conversation in whispers.

Peter gave me a thumbs up as Sam’s thumbnail lit up.

“Mrs. Parks,” whispered Sam.

“Yes?” I answered.

“Ummmm, I can hear you guys...,” he whispered informatively.


I don’t know if this sounds as funny as it was - the whole class, including Sam, giggled.  We weren’t whispering to tell a secret and of course he and the others could hear us.  It was so sweet.


8 comments:

  1. This is such a cute picture of a bonding experience. Everybody's trying to figure out how to live in this new normal and you've got to take time for a giggle along the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just hear it, as I read your dialogue. I agree- so sweet! And I think this is a good addition to the stories we can tell about this year of virtual teaching. Small moments are what makes it work or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I love how the students are learning to work back and forth with you and each other. A whole new world in learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chuckled. I can picture and hear this conversation. Zoom class - so many stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good that something funny and bonding can come out of zoom that always seems so distancing and impersonal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, how excited was I to see your name in the comments of slicers --- and then to see you have a blog!!! Whispering on Zoom...oh, that made me smile. I think if there are some features that Zoom could add, this would be a great one: a way to have a conversation with one student while muting your sound with others. Hmmmm, I wonder what other features we might add.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy! Hi! I've wanted to join this challenge for years but was always anxious about the 'make a blog' part of it. But on Feb 28, I figured it out and am doing it. It's been more fun than I expected, I should have done it years ago.😊. Thanks for reading and commenting, ❤️.

      Delete